Day 2: A day without Jessica


July 8th/ day 2

Sunday morning was horrible. Because it was my first night sleeping in a tent I wasn't sure what to expect. I made the terrible mistake of not bringing my blanket, and because the night before was so cold I hardly slept. I woke up around five in the morning and spent the next two hours trying to warm up.
At around six thirty Jessica woke everyone up for an optional hike up potato hill. The hike which I thought was going to be very simple was not.
The terrain was really steep most of the trail was sand that would slide down when you took a step.  Even though the hike up was only about a half a mile it took us almost an hour to get up to the top. I will admit this was mainly due to the fact that Jessica kept insisting that we take breaks and because I didn't want to go alone I waited for the rest of the group. After finally reaching the top of the hill our tour guide-Jacob sang a song about the light, it was a very peaceful song.
The top of potato hill


Once we began climbing down was when the real fun began. We didn't really climb down, we actually kind of just slid down, I will admit it got very messy very quickly, however, I do not regret doing it. After dusting off we finally got to eat breakfast then we. began to make lunch. Jessica told us we were to finish our blog and the rest of the activities at a different site with less mosquitos. The trip there was not the best it was the first time where all the students from heritage university were assigned to only one van. The only part of the long ride there was the nap that I took. Today we also got a chance to shower for the first time all week.

Later that day we attempted fishing with Jonathan but that didn't work out so well. When we headed back it felt like someone was missing, it turned out that Jessica had still not returned from her trip to the campsite to refill our water jugs. Because we had no idea when she would be back Pedro decided that it would be best to go on without her and Pedro decided to issue all of us some binoculars and show us how to set a trap to capture mice. This was the highlight of my day I actually got to see some equipment that a real wildlife biologist uses, besides the traps he also showed us some trackers that he would place on the animals to keep track of them as they are released into the wild.
Well it turned out that they blow a flat tire and they won't be back until later tonight so I think i'm going to call it a night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: The cool foresters.

Day 11: Best day so far

Day 13 : Waking up in to the perfect view